I will forever continue my quest for finding some of the greatest small-production, family ran wineries out there. I just LOVE it! I recently came across one such winery, Milano Family Winery, and I have fallen in love with everything about this winery. I wanted to share with you my thoughts on this place and its wines in the hopes that you will join me in supporting some of these smaller wineries.
Please note that I consider “smaller” wineries to be those that you are not likely to find in your local grocery store or in restaurants.
-Milano Family Winery-
Milano Family Winery is located in South Mendocino County near the Russian River (love me some Russian River wines!). They produce hand crafted, limited bottlings of Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Zinfandel, Carignane, Charbono, Valdiguie, and Port. I was lucky enough to try 6 of their wines..here are my thoughts on each.
- Big Ass Blonde- This Italian varietal wine is the perfect table wine. I LOVE finding a great everyday wine as it is a little easier on my pocketbook and something I can constantly go back to. This wine has lots of citrus notes, yet, ended very creamy for me.
- Big Ass Red- Again, another perfect table red. I am pretty picky with my reds so I was surprised at just how good I found this wine to be. I got lots of juicy flavors on the nose and tasted black cherry and blackberry. I was pleasantly surprised at how full and big this wine tasted.
- Echo- This Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Petite Verdot blend was DELICIOUS. I got spicy flavors mixed with some black cherry. This one had a sweet, long finish that was to die for. At $40 this may be one of my new go to wines for holiday’s or parties.
- Mistero- This is the perfect Cabernet blend with big fruits, a slight sweetness, and a long full finish. Again, at $15 I am shocked with how much I liked this wine. It was perfectly balanced and easy to drink now.
- Valdiguie- This wine was, perhaps, my favorite of the 6 I tried. The spicy flavors I picked up along with its incredibly long finish had me sold from the first sip! If ever given the chance, please pick a bottle of this incredible red up. To say I am a fan is a huge understatement, especially at $35.
- Cabernet Sauvignon (Lardo Ridge Vineyards)- The combination of big fruits, vanilla, and oak on the palette was incredible. I slowly sipped this one and with each sip I picked up something new to add to the the flavor profile. Another that I would highly recommend! In my opinion, this wine was perfect to drink now or could be laid down for a few years.
So that’s it! My review in a nutshell? I would purchase all 6 wines that I have tried thus far and can not wait to try the rest. Have you ever tried Milano Family Winery? I would love to hear your thoughts on this winery. Did you love this small, certified organic winery as much as I did? I hope you all have a fantastic weekend. CHEERS!