When I was a kid, and still to this day, on my birthday I did not want to go out to dinner. I wanted THIS. This American style chicken enchilada recipe is far and away my favorite meal. It couldn’t be easier to make and pairs well with wines so I had to share it with you all. This go around I paired it with a Clif Family Winery RTE Blanc and it couldn’t have been any better!
The Chicken Enchilada Recipe
What you will need:
3 chicken breasts
1/2 cup milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cans of diced green chiles (1 can will do if need be)
1 can cream of potato soup (cream of mushroom or chicken work just as well)
1 can of corn (optional- this is what I like to serve the dish with)
6 corn tortillas (if you have 4 or 5 that will work too)
salt and pepper to taste
Now Lets get started:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large pot, bring water to boil. Boil the chicken to cooked through (usually around 20 minutes).
- While the chicken is cooking add all the ingredients (minus the tortillas) together in a mixing bowl. LEAVE 1/2 CUP OF THE CHEESE TO THE SIDE.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to your mixture and stir well.
- When chicken is finished cooking, shred it, then, add to mixture of all other ingredients.
- Grease a large baking dish. An 8×10 or 9×13 will work.
- Steam your tortillas in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Apply a thin layer of your chicken mixture to the bottom of the pan, top with 2-3 tortillas. I tear the tortillas a part to ensure the mixture is covered as much as possible.
- Top the tortillas with a thin layer of the chicken mixture.
- Repeat until your mixture and tortillas are gone. Usually 2-3 layers of mixture, tortilla, mixture, tortilla.
- Cook in the oven uncovered for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the pan and top with your remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Now, cook it in the oven for an additional 7-10 minutes or until cheese is melted completely.
- Serve with warmed corn. I like mixing the corn into the casserole.
And VOILA! Couldn’t be simpler.
I was thinking I wanted a bright and light wine to pair with this chicken enchilada recipe while making it. I felt a Sauvignon Blanc would bring out the best in this cheesy, chile filled goodness. Boy, was I right! The bright fruits in this Clif Family Winery RTE Blanc were the perfect pairings with this Chicken Enchilada Recipe.